Michael S. Davis, Partner
Michael S. Davis has been a partner at ZEK since 1999. Mike has more than 40 years' experience in a wide range of commercial litigation, concentrating in bankruptcy, insurance and insurance-related arbitration. His experience also includes antitrust, contracts, employment, maritime, real estate, reinsurance and securities matters. He has lectured on many of these subjects at Long Island University and to business audiences. An accredited CLE lecture by Mike on arbitration law is available on line at https://www.nacle.com/CLE/Courses/Update-in-Arbitration-Law-1509
Mike is certified as an arbitrator by ARIAS*U.S. and has also served as an arbitrator under the auspices of the American Arbitration Association.
Mike began his career at Chadbourne & Parke in the 1970’s and during the 1980’s he was Senior Counsel in charge of Corporate Litigation at American International Group, Inc.
Mike’s practice focuses on representation of insurance companies in commercial bankruptcy matters, both as creditors and as insurers. Mike also has an active arbitration practice. The scope of Mike’s forty years of experience is demonstrated by these published judicial decisions, among others:
- Fireman’s Fund Ins. Co. v. Plant Insulation Co., 734 F.3d 900 (9th Cir. 2013), 485 B.R. 203 (N.D.CA 2012).
- In re American Capital Equip., 688 F.3d 145 (3rd Cir. 2012).
- In re Global Indus. Technologies, Inc., 645 F.3d 201 (3rd Cir. 2010).
- National Union v. Las Vegas Prof’l Football L.P., 409 Fed. Appx. 401; 2010 U.S. App. LEXIS 25865 (2d Cir. 2010).
- Pace v. American Int’l Group, Inc., 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 30816 (N.D.IL. 2010).
- National Union v. Excel Staffing Servs., 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 52905 (S.D.N.Y. 2009).
- Underwriters at Lloyds v. Federal-Mogul, 402 B.R. 625 (D.Del. 2009).
- Freuhauf Trailer Corp. v. National Union, 2007 414 B.R. 36 (D.Del. Bankr. 2009), Bankr. LEXIS 609 (D. Del. Bankr. 2007).
- Am. Home Assur. Co. v. Circle L. Roofing, Inc., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 18313 (S.D.N.Y. 2008).
- In re Kaiser Aluminum Corp., 343 B.R. 88 (D.Del. 2006).
- In re: Teligent, Inc., 337 B.R. 39 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y. 2005).
- Raytheon Co. v. National Union, 306 F.Supp.2d 346 (S.D.N.Y. 2004).
- Kaiser Aluminum v. Transcontinental Ins. Co., 2004 Bankr. LEXIS 33 (D.Del. 2004).
- National Union v. Dyneer Corp., 798 N.Y.S.2d 346 (N.Y. Sup. 2004).
- National Union v. LSB Industries, Inc., 296 F.3d 940 (10th Cir. 2002).
- Welltech, Inc. v. National Union, 299 A.D.2d 228 (1st Dept. 2002).
- In re Transport Associates, Inc., 263 B.R. 531 (Bankr. W.D.Ky. 2001).
- Jasper Corp. v. National Union, 1999 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 15334, 1999 WL 781808 (M.D.Fla. 1999).
- Chemical Bank v. Affiliated FM Ins, 169 F.3d 121 (2nd Cir. 1999); 970 F.Supp. 306 (S.D.N.Y. 1997); 815 F.Supp. 115 (S.D.N.Y. 1993); 154 F.R.D. 91 (S.D.N.Y. 1999).
- In re Security Services, Inc., 132 B.R. 411 (Bankr. W.D. Mo. 1991).
- In re McLean Industries, Inc., 132 B.R. 271 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y. 1991).
- Insurance Co. of the State of Pa. v. J.L. Kelley, Inc., 612 F.Supp. 1196 (S.D.N.Y. 1985).
- Alveari v. American International Group, Inc., 503 F.Supp. 228 (S.D.N.Y. 1984).
- Triangle Indus. v. Kennecott Copper Corp., 98 F.R.D. 300 (S.D.N.Y. 1983).
- Reading Indus. v. Kennecott Corp., 631 F.2d 10 (2nd Cir. 1980), 631 F.2d 10 (2nd Cir. 1980).
Mike has served as a trustee of The Harvey School, Katonah, NY (1993-1998), represented clients on a pro bono basis through Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, Citizens Committee for Children of New York, Inc. and Community Law Office of the Legal Aid Society, and served as a president and trustee at his synagogue.