Peter Janovsky, Partner
Peter Janovsky is a partner at Zeichner Ellman & Krause LLP and a member of the firm’s litigation and bankruptcy groups. His practice includes representation of institutional and individual clients, including domestic and international financial institutions, real estate developers, and family businesses. Peter has successfully argued before state and federal courts, and is experienced in complex litigation, including extensive discovery, motion, and jury trial practice.
Among his notable accomplishments at ZEK, Peter has:
- Obtained relief from the automatic stay in The WorldCom Bankruptcy case to release $34M in cash collateral. In re WorldCom, 2003 Bankr. LEXIS 2440 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.).
- Litigated family real estate dispute toward favorable 8-figure settlement in simultaneous litigation and arbitration proceedings.
- Achieved dismissal of RICO allegations against major banks in federal district court for the Southern District of New York, including Abra Constr. Corp. v. Merchs. Bank, 258 Fed. Appx. 379 (2007); and Eshel v. Fleet Bank et al., 96 Civ. 9705 (AGS). Successfully argued Abra appeal before Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Obtained cross-border relief for domestic bank client through attachments in New York, permitting entry of judgments in Israel and recovery of assets located there.
- Litigated to judgment month-long jury trial after 50 depositions in over six states.
- Represented supermarket chain as debtor-in-possession in bankruptcy proceeding, writing majority of motions and pleadings, leading to successful asset sale.
- Achieved favorable settlement for developer in complex construction lien litigation in bankruptcy court.
- Currently defending Chinese-American bank in action based on alleged fraudulent wire transfer.
Prior to joining ZEK, Peter was Associate Attorney with Kaye, Scholer, Fierman, Hays & Handler. Earlier, he served as assistant principal and teacher of history and government in New York City high schools.
Peter received his J.D. from Fordham University School of Law, where he was Associate Editor of the Law Review. He earned a B.A. in Government from Columbia University. Last June, he completed NYSBA Commercial Arbitration Training at Cardozo Law School.
Peter currently serves on the Board of the New York Chinese American Bankers Association and is a member of the New York Democratic Lawyers Council Steering Committee. He previously served on the Board of 91 Central Park West.
Peter’s publications include:
- Real Estate and the Supreme Court Online Sales Decision, Real Estate Finance & Investment, June 30, 2018
- Promises, Promises: Contracts, Fraud and Third Parties, Real Estate Finance & Investment, August 12, 2013
- Enforceability of Automatic Stay Waivers in Bankruptcy Cases, Real Estate Finance & Investment, July 3, 2013
- Relief Under Section 304 of the Bankruptcy Code: Clarifying the Principal Role of Comity in Transnational Insolvencies, 64 Fordham L. Rev. 2591 (with S. Krause and M. Lebowitz)
- Front Pay: A Necessary Alternative to Reinstatement Under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, 53 Fordham L. Rev. 579 (1984)
Peter is also an accomplished musician. His record, “Winners and Losers: Campaign Songs from Critical Elections in American History, 1800-1976” (Volumes I and II) is available on Smithsonian Folkways Records.