Theodora D. Vasilatos, Associate
Theodora Vasilatos is an experienced litigator who focuses on representing domestic and foreign financial institutions in commercial litigation and in addressing a variety of their Anti-Money Laundering concerns. That, combined with her experience in representing, investors, Fortune 500 companies, and loan servicers provides her with deep experience and expertise in complicated legal concerns facing the banking industry.
Theodora has experience in the representation of lenders and special servicers with distressed loans and commercial financing. Her work includes motion practice, receiverships, judicial foreclosures, sophisticated loan workouts and restructurings, note sales, use of cash collateral, as well as handling bankruptcy stay issues and disputes involving claims of fraud, misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of implied duty of good faith, breach of contract, tortious interference, prima facie tort, and RICO.
Theodora’s notable litigation matters and accomplishments include:
- Obtaining dismissal of a number of cases involving RICO, FCRA, FDCPA, fraud and unjust enrichment claims, including a case seeking $400,000,000 in compensatory damages for alleged breach of contract and negligent misrepresentation.
- Prevailing at a damages inquest hearing in federal court after first obtaining vacatur of a client’s default even after the court denied predecessor counsel’s vacatur motion.
- Prevailing both at the trial court and on appeal and preserving a client’s mortgage lien, even after sale of the mortgaged premises at a condominium lien foreclosure sale.
- Obtaining summary judgment against intervenor/junior mortgagee, and preserving lender’s first priority mortgage lien in a case where lender’s mortgage was not paid off at a short sale due to junior mortgagee’s agent’s (abstract company) defalcation.
- Convincing the court to deny a petition for a New York judicial subpoena for discovery in aid of a pending FINRA arbitration.
Theodora’s practice includes the representation of financial institutions in regulatory and compliance matters, with a focus on Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering (“BSA/AML”) issues. Theodora provides assistance in responding to grand jury, regulatory, and legislative investigations, particularly in the AML/BSA space.
Theodora’s notable investigation/compliance matters include:
- Representation of a global bank in connection with a DOJ investigation into corruption in an international sport;
- Representation of a senior executive in connection with a United States Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations (“PSI”) investigation regarding certain trading activity;
- Representation of large financial institutions in financial crimes investigations by various federal and state regulators and prosecutors.
Prior to joining ZEK, Theodora worked on multifaceted real estate and financing transactions, including construction and business lending. Her experience runs the gamut of negotiating and drafting financing and security documents, to resolving title and survey issues and providing counsel through all phases of real property financing, acquisition and disposition, including due diligence, closing and post-closing matters.
Theodora represents clients in the state and federal courts of New York and New Jersey.